A common sighting in Ecuador (as well as in Chile, probably in many other parts of Latin America!) is la radio del flaite. Actually, I just made this term up. It's not even the best term to describe what I'm talking about! Specifically, la radio del flaite is someone's cell phone that they use to listen to music with- without headphones- meaning that everyone in the vicinity can hear the music. Flaite is a Chilean slang term (chilenismo) that Cachando Chile (a great blog that explains daily life in Chile with beautiful photos and an anthropologist's perspective) defines in its glossary as: flaite (FLY-tay): (adj) Derogatory term to describe someone from a lower class, loser.
I was reminded that this listening to someone else's music in public spaces phenomenon is not common in the US when a Chilean friend of mine posted on her Facebook page:
"EL CELULAR DEL FLAITE tiene: mp3, mp4, mp5, playstation, camara, radio, TV, internet, colador de fideos, gel pal pelo...limpia vidrios, cuchillo, cortauñas...TOoooDO! MENOS AUDÍFONOS CSM!!!! Pegalo en tu muro si no aguantas a los flaites que piensan que la calle...el metro...la micro...son una Disco..."
This translates to:
"THE FLAITE'S CELL PHONE has: mp3, mp4, mp5, Playstation, camera, radio, TV, internet, colander for noodles, hair gel...window cleaner, knife, nail clippers...Everything!! Except headphones dammit*!!! Put this on your wall if you can't stand the flaites that think that the street...the metro...the bus...is a disco..."
This represents a lot of things that to me are very typical of a Chilean person writing on Facebook. First of all, notice the iNtErChAnGiNg caps/no caps- this is hugely popular, and not just among 11 year olds as it is in English. Second, Chileans seem to be very into the "put this on your Facebook wall if you..." trend, and they're constantly copying information about how Facebook is soon going to charge for its services unless you copy the statement and put it on your wall, etc. Finally, the overuse of the ellipsis (...) is pretty common as well...
I've seen some pretty exaggerated use of these cell phones- for example, while hiking, while in a colectivo (shared taxi), even in bars and restaurants. I mean really people- that's not necessary. And if you find it is, I have to agree that you should definitely pick up a pair of headphones. Still, I'll admit- every once in a while it's kind of nice to have music to listen along to when you don't have your own. But definitely not always! When I was in Chile for the first time, I went with several of my study abroad friends on an overnight bus to La Sirena for the fiestas patrias- Sept. 18- and one of my friends got stuck next to a Chilean guy who listened to reggaeton music- without headphones- all night! She said she made a deal with God that if he turned off his music (or if his mp3 player ran out of batteries!) she would do her best to visit all of the churches in La Sirena. So when the music eventually stopped, my friend decided to stay behind and check out some of the churches! Clearly this public music listening phenomeon can change your entire travel plans.
Yet another reason to appreciate your personal cars! (environmental effects aside, of course.)
* CSM probably would be translated with more vulgarity, but I decided to keep this blog family friendly.
Here we feel the vibrations of the cars next to us (or even four behind us) with their music blaring. Why do they think we like rap like that? Once i did experience some sappy 70s music being blared, but how rare is that!
ReplyDelete