I saw a recipe online for chickpea crackers, and I was skeptical. I've never made my own crackers before, let alone in a toaster oven! But people: I am here to tell you that if you have a free hour at home and an hornito or (even better) a real oven, crackers are now pretty much the easiest/most delicious thing ever to make.
Michelle's Soon To Be Famous Super Easy And Delicious Chickpea Crackers With Lots of Protein and Fiber
(OK, so I didn't invent this recipe but I made some changes to the recipe I stumbled across online.)
- 1 can of chickpeas
- a pinch of salt
- yummy flavoring (I used dried rosemary, I think sage, oregano, or maybe even paprika? would all be interesting combos)
- whole wheat flour until dough is hard and sticks together (I used approx. 1/2 a cup)
- Mash up the chickpeas with a fork or in a food processor. I bet you can all bet what I used because I clearly won't shut up about my love for my kitchen appliances.
- Add salt and flavoring, mix.
- Slowly add in the flour until the dough is hard.
- Roll out the dough as thinly as possible, and cut into shapes.
- Bake in oven/hornito at 160 C for 20-25 minutes.
I've been eating these crackers with cream cheese and my leftover spinach pesto, but I think any sort of dip/topping would be yummy. Salsa! Mashed avocado! Jam! Babaganoush! That Alouette dip! Bean dip for even more protein! This yummy looking homemade honey mustard that I keep wanting to make! Clearly, the options are endless.
What are you doing still reading? Get to cracker-making! Seriously, you won't regret it.
Yum! I'll have to try this when Rachel is home. It sounds like something she'd like as well. I didn't know canned food has BPA? Really?! There is always something. Thanks for posting this.
ReplyDelete"Hanflufe" was the scrambled word. That should describe something. Maybe how covered with flour one is after making your crackers or a special tool used to roll and cut out the crackers.
ReplyDeleteINCREDIBLE. Weekends are getting packed, as I now have to try to make that pesto bread and these crackers. It better not be hot, since my oven will be on this weekend!
ReplyDeleteps: my word was sneeslap! haha!
ps: In three days, I made the pumpkin macaroni and cheese, roasted pumpkin seeds, and two pumpkin spice lattes. Do you have canned pumpkin? Change. Your. Life.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/2011/09/pumpkin-spice-latte.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LoveVeggiesAndYoga+%28Love+Veggies+and+Yoga%29