Friday, October 21, 2011

Homemade bread: Not just for people with actual ovens anymore

I decided that with my new blender and food processor, my absolute dearest kitchen appliance might be starting to feel left out and maybe even jealous.  Worry not, hornito- I haven't forgotten about you. 

Let me introduce to you the most genius bread product even invented: it's this tomato-pesto swirl bread. It's pure deliciousness.  It's like eating a pizza where you couldn't decide if you wanted tomato sauce or pesto and brilliantly decided to go for both.  The best part is that it calls for semolina flour, which I wasn't sure if I could find in Quito, but I found that popular substitutes include quinoa flour.  Finally, a way to use up the flour from my quinoa bread

the bread and my trusty (actually fairly dirty) hornito

that's homemade spinach-basil pesto, folks!

I took the bread to my friend Francisca's place and she took a picture of me with it
I mean, I don't think my favorite olive bread has to get jealous just yet, but this is definitely a pretty delicious new option.  Tell me you don't want to just run out and start breadmaking right now.  I know all about it- I saw this recipe online and immediately decided to get a-breadmakin'.  Hornito, is there anything you can't make?

Dearest hornito, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

You make killer brownies
You create soft, savory challahs
You're responsible for crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside cookies
Your cornbread is divinely southern
You know how to make pan de yuca just like the yuca and yogurt people
Your quinoa bread, as previously mentioned, is perfectly nutty
Your scones are the perfect accompaniment to a warm tea
Your olive bread is so well-known it has had a post dedicatedly entirely to it

And don't get me started on hornit-ified mac and cheese casseroles, scalloped potatoes, green bean casseroles, roasted veggies, my favorite roasted carrot and feta salad, and so many other delicious creations. 

Horinto mío, te quiero mucho.  Dearest little toaster oven that could, I'm all yours.

5 comments:

  1. This looks SO good! My "hornito" hasn't had as much experience as yours, but is fast becoming a good friend (not quite a best friend yet). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so are you ever going to post recipes, or just drooling for delicious bread recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may be true that this blog is the most anti-Atkins of them all...

    ReplyDelete
  4. En serio?? una post dedicado a un hornito???
    Tu pan parecía super rico

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to find a foreign grocery store! Love the bread post, but flour-ish products are a bit harder to find here and more expensive....the biggest obstacle of all to finding them is that I can't read the labels and let's face it--all the powdery baking products look similar. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete