Saturday, May 14, 2011

It's been wonderful and weird to be back in Chile. First of all, everything is familiar and I have memories everywhere. I can't help remembering my bike routes and I know that when one red light changes, I'll have five seconds before mine changes. I know where to get the best juices, the only non-fried cheese empanadas, and I recognize teachers, parents, and classmates at Maia's school when I pick her up. I run into friends and acquaintances on the streets and I know which buses will take me from Valpo to Viña the fastest.

Still, some buildings have changed and I no longer have a routine. There is construction in places that seemed just fine, and suddenly I'm converting pesos to dollars to figure out if something is "expensive", something I haven't done since I was first here in 2007. I'm amazed at how cheap grapes are, and even though I'm carrying around the smaller bags that I've always carried when I go with Alvaro to the feria, they still feel heavy even though long ago I got used to them.

Basically, it's a weird juxtaposition of feeling like I'm suddenly back where everything is familiar, yet some things aren't familiar at all and I know I've adjusted to a new familiar, back "home" in Ecuador. 

Speaking of Ecuador- I don't want to go back!  I love it there and I want to buy cheap quinoa and see my friends and sleep in my own, big bed, but that also means frantically reading and writing to catch up, and no more leisurely free time.  Today is my last full day here in Chile, and while I wanted to be sun-drenched on the beach and visiting ducks at the Jardín Botánico, I'll probably just stay home with my allergic nose and work on stuff for class on Monday- a slow transition back into my studious life.

1 comment:

  1. This is an observant and moving post. I think you have summed up nicely how hard it is to go back to, and then leave, a place in which you have lived in the past.

    Speaking of Ecuador, I just caught your recommendation of Calvin Trillin's article, Speaking of Soup: The culinary approach to Spanish. What a hoot! I love how he meanders through the article, yet somehow returns to food and Spanish language difficulties. I bet he would love your blog.

    ReplyDelete