I cleaned out my fridge before I left, leaving literally just some olives, tortillas, tahini, half a lemon and some condiments in it. It was the starkest that I've ever seen the fridge since moving in. Since I came back Sunday evening I haven't had time to head out to the Supermaxi to get fresh fruits and veggies, so I've been eating lots of food that I froze ahead of time, including this amazing olive bread that I made (hence the leftover olives) right before leaving. It's a no-knead recipe from a budget cooking website and it just requires whole wheat and white flour, olives, spices (I used oregano and rosemary), yeast and water. Who knew that you could bake several loaves of bread in a toaster oven? Seriously, when I'm not thinking about how delicious my SO EASY and homemade bread is, I'm thinking about how much I love my little hornito.
Considering my lack of fresh produce, I've been eating pretty well. I made some hummus (I know- who would think that when I have NO FOOD I would still be able to make hummus? thanks, leftover tahini, slightly dry but still juicy lemon, and canned garbonzo beans in my cubbard!) and some rice and beans, making imitation Mexican rice with ketchup, garlic powder, and marquen. Not a bad lunch! Still, there's nothing like fresh produce so I'll probably head out to the supermarket and grab something to hold me over before I pick up my food co-op basket tomorrow evening.
Olive you too!
ReplyDeleteDear blog: post more, please.
ReplyDelete