Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Classes

Everyone at the University has to take 13 classes to graduate, meaning two semesters of 4 classes and one semester "extra duro" with five classes. Most people took five classes last semester with ideas of "relaxation" during the last semester (and dedicating more time to thesis requirements). I decided to take five classes during this last semester, partially to be able to spend more time with Alvaro while he was here, and partially thinking that the more time and experience I have studying in Spanish, the easier it will be. I think I made a good decision- so far, my five classes are all a bit lighter than other classes. It's still going to be a much tougher semester, but I do feel like my studying and writing experience will make it easier now than had I picked the last semester to do this. What classes am I taking? I'm so glad you asked.

Globalization and Environmental Conflicts
Foreign Policy in the Andean Region
Economic Politics Applied in Latin America
Culture, Local Power and Development
Geopolitics of the 21st Century

I have one repeat professor (the Asambleista- Congressman- teaching basically part II of my Geopolitics of the 20th Century class) and four new professors. The Economic politics in Latin America class and the Power and Development class are both electives (I get 2 because I'm taking 5 classes...). I picked the first one (Economic Politics) because I had heard that the professor was really good, and so far he hasn't disappointed. He's good at explaining things simply and comes up with some interesting, funny, and pertinent examples to compliment the theories we're discussing. The Local Power and Development class I picked because I thought it might compliment my thesis research (I think it will), and the professor has research interests similar to mine- PLUS several people had told me that they thought he would make a good tutor for my thesis, so I thought I'd feel things out with him. I'm glad I met him- I am definitely planning on asking him to be my tutor if I ever get my thesis concretely planned out.

In non-academic and therefore food related news, lately I've been really into roasting veggies that I haven't traditionally roasted. And by roasting, I mean brushing a little olive oil (with my new kitchen brush recently purchased at the Supermaxi) on veggies and sticking them in my trusty hornito- toaster oven- at 400 degrees until I remember to check on them again or until I smell smoke. I've been making a roasted carrot salad with feta cheese and parsley (today I added cilantro because I don't have any more parsley), and roasting broccoli with lemon grind and garlic- both are delicious. I have a zucchini now from my co-op produce basket from last week, and while I briefly considered making zucchini boat pizzas (I'm still not huge on plain zucchini, I have to cover it up with copious amounts of cheese or grate it really finely- OR grate it up and mix with grated potatoes for zucchini latkes- delish), I finally decided on a much more delicious (though less nutritious) option- zucchini bread! Since I don't have class tomorrow I thought I'd make some bread and try my hand at homemade crackers (I know!), but I really want the zucchini bread NOW! I just need to wait and be patient, but my hornito is calling to me, saying that it wants zucchini bread too! Hopefully I have the will power to edit an essay before class instead of baking before class...

No comments:

Post a Comment