Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Carnaval!

With my "extensive" Latin American travels, I can't believe that this is the first time that I get to participate in Carnaval! Carnaval is popular throughout Latin America- except in Chile. Seriously, it's the only country that doens't celebrate carnaval in the region. You've probably seen or heard of Carnaval in Brazil (it's the biggest celebration), but it happens throughout the region. Unfortunately, when I was in Ecuador last it wasn't Carnaval season, nor was it when I was in Argentina or Uruguay. I was in Chile during Carnaval season last year, but they don't celebrate it. So this is my first Caranval!

Next week Monday and Tuesday are feriados- public holidays- for Carnaval. So I'm heading out with a friend and Alvi on Friday to go to Ambato, Guarando, and Salinas to celebrate. All are highlands- sierra- towns, and they're famous for Carnaval celebrations (they're near Baños and Riobamba- where I spent the night before heading up to Chimborazo recently). There are big parades and apparently the thing to do is spray water, paint, fruits, anything on everyone around, but since Ambato has become a major tourist destination for Carnaval, they've outlawed the throwing/spraying of water. Guaranda is supposed to be more "authentic", but mostly I want to go there because they're having their Festival de Fruta. Seriously, could this holiday get any better? Entertaining parades and celebration, PLUS a fruit festival? But it DOES get better! Outside of Guaranda is Salinas, where they're famous for wool dying and cooperatives that export high quality (and fair trade, I think) products. Not all of the cooperatives will be open for touring, but guess which ones will be open? The cheese and chocolate cooperatives. I don't even care what the other cooperatives are, those ones sound like the best! We're staying at their refugio- small hotel/hostel and they'll give us what I can only imagine will be a divine breakfast.

Even though we just had our intermedio- mid-semester week long break, I'm ready for another vacation! Especially one that includes lots of fruit and cheese and chocolate sampling.

1 comment:

  1. I'm imagining two types of fondue for breakfast: a cheese pot and a chocolate pot. Or a cheese plate with lots of fruit in the morning, and a chocolate on your pillow...ahhhh.

    ReplyDelete