Hopefully I'll get a better update up soon, but things went well! Salinas de Guaranda was an interesting experience- culturally, economically, and ecologically! We bought lots of products from the producers there, including a kilo of cheese (with oregano!), a rosemary-based shampoo, a bunch of loose leaf tea (12 herbs, called té la vida), some dried mushrooms (guess who won't be preparing or consuming them unless they're chopped finely onto a pizza and then covered with the oregano cheese), chocolates galore, and even some macaroni noodles made out of spinach and soy. Hopefully I'll be able to explain more about the economic cooperatives in Salinas in a forecoming blog post.
Guaranda is a more traditional city, and we were bombarded with all sorts of carnaval festivities when we got there. We didn't stay long, but I'm glad we bought and brought cans of spray foam in Quito before we got there! (Not like you can't buy it on the street though...)
Ambato was the big punch, with their Festival of Fruits and Flowers. It was an early morning parade, and we got lucky because we paid a family $1 each to climb up and watch the parade in the back of their big truck that they had specifically parked near the parade route the night before. Other people camped out to protect the best parade viewing spots the night before! The parade was mostly beauty queens followed by high school dance troupes performing mildly inappropriate sexual dances. The cool thing was that when I checked out the floats up close later, they had been decorated with fresh flowers and produce.
I wish Caranval lasted a bit longer- I don't want to go back to classes yet! I want more fruits, more foaming, and more forgetting about schoolwork! (nice alliteration there, right? I didn't even plan it!)
More details about Salinas de Guaranda soon hopefully!
Awesome pics!
ReplyDelete-lone wolf