Thursday, November 11, 2010

tomates

I have become an absolute EXPERT at making homemade tomato sauce. Tomatoes are ridiculously cheap here, and canned sauce is not. For example, I can usually bargain the lady into giving me 9-10 tomatoes for $1, where as when I checked out the Prego sauce in the Megamaxi it cost $4.37. With my new basil plant (recently de-caterpillar'ed last night, putting an end to the mystery black balls appearing on leaves, which I realized were caterpillar poop), my tomato sauce is rivaling anything canned.

Which is good, because other than broccoli, I'm out of other vegetables (except onions), so I've been topping things with tomato sauce and calling it a serving of vegetables. Today I ate garbonzo beans with tomato sauce (delicious!), and last night I had broccoli with tomato sauce (double whammy).

Tomorrow I will definitely need to buy some more veggies though.

No comments:

Post a Comment