Thursday, November 25, 2010

Feliz Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

I get the day off too- my Int'l Relations theory class is cancelled in the evening, so I have a free day. I'm going to celebrate the Pilgrim's arrival by doing the most American thing there is to do in Quito- eat a quinoa bagel with hummus at the Mr. Bagel cafe. From there, I'm going with an American and a German to check out the TeleferiQo (a funicular-like ride up one of the mountains that looks over Quito), and from there we'll be purchasing food for Saturday.

What is happening on Saturday, you might ask? Well, Saturday is the day that I'll be celebrating Thanksgiving...al estilo Ecuatoriano. The other gringa at the University and I invited classmates who have never celebrated before, and we'll be preparing the whole shebang- turkey, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, stuffing, pumpking pie (hopefully!), salads, and fried bananas (that's the al estilo Ecuatoriano part). It should be a good time!

I hope everyone has a good day! I'm thankful for friends and family that support me from near and afar, for good health and safety here in Quito, and for Mr. Bagel. You guys??

4 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for Skype and upcoming family trips to South America!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is/are there fried onions to buy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. juju- so far, no french's onions to be seen. definitely another import-export business for me to consider. my plan is to fry them myself, which means smelling like grease for a long time, but who eats green bean casserole without fried onions??!?

    also, devilled eggs will definitely be happening. brilliant.

    ReplyDelete