It has obviously been way too long since I've focused singularly on one very important topic: food that I am eating. Worry not- job searching has given me more time to think excessively about food again.
I recently tried my hand at making perogi, a Polish dish. I stuffed mine with cheese, potatoes and onions, and let me say- they were amazing! Unfortunately, I've never tried authentic, fresh perogis, only the frozen kind. But I thought mine were pretty good, and while the recipe was time consuming, it wasn't difficult. Here are my super professional, ready-for-food-blogging photos.
| I took these photos on top of the washing machine in my kitchen. You can also see the plant that rests on the washing machine when we're not using it- whoops. |
Finally, Alvaro prepared a new breakfast food for us the other day- shucked corn and cheese. I usually buy full ears of corn, but unless I plan on eating it on the cob, I end up shucking the kernels off. I recently realized that I can buy bags of the kernels pulled off the cob (by the women selling it) for the same price at my outdoor market, and I've been appreciating it big time- I've saved so much time! Alvaro said that he heard from some friends at work that sauteed corn and cheese is a standard breakfast food along the coast. I've never tried it, but it's now definitely one of my favorite breakfasts. I only thought to take a picture when I had almost finished, but the corn has been sauteed in a tiny bit of olive oil, and I added chives and basil for flavor and color. We also added some chunks of queso fresco. Notice that the corn kernels here are significantly bigger here than sweet corn in the US, and they're much sturdier as well.
Did you research any recipes for the star apple? I can't imagine it being creamy looking at your photos. I made a wonderful corn salad when Nanny and Papa were down the last time. It had uncooked shucked corn, lime juice, olive oil, avocado, cilantro and something else. i had it as leftovers and added cheese. I wish corn were still in season here. Thanks for the updates!
ReplyDelete