Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Spring- or is it summer?

I never really know what season it is here in Ecuador. Along the coast it's one season (the opposite of the northern hemisphere seasons), and in the sierra, it's another (in sync with the northern hemisphere). But people in Quito seem to be constantly confused about seasons, and when my family's iphone apps for weather show the same weather pattern all year round (60s and thunderstorms, right?), it goes to say that there's no clear distinction for seasons.

Still, there have been these beautiful pink trees blooming lately, and I wanted to catch a photo. I walk past this tree on my way to the university, but I always forget to bring my camera! The tree is getting slightly less magnificent as time goes on, so today I finally remembered to take a picture.

In other flowery, beautiful news, a friend of mine got married last Friday. She and her Ecuadorian husband are now honeymooning in Colombia. We went out to celebrate with them, and they had the loveliest venue. It was in a place called Lloa, just behind Quito's biggest volcano, Pichincha. It was amazing- we drove up a hill, and suddenly everything was green and pastoral. When the volcano exploded several years ago, the ash left the whole area fertile.

They were wed at Hacienda La Antigua, and it was so pretty! Cows mooed while they said their vows, and the wedding party posed with a sheep. I took a few photos of the venue- it was too picturesque not to!

You'll note some very flattering stains on all of photos- this is all thanks to the tropics. I had them checked out and the camera guy said that it was mold on the lens that had accumulated during my time in the humid coastal areas- I guess it's the cost of my field work there. Occasionally I edit the marks out, but forgot to this time.



 Everything was so beautiful! What a pretty place. But nothing beats the PNW in summer- good thing I'm arriving in Los Angeles the morning of August 6th and in Portland the evening of the 12th!

No comments:

Post a Comment