Friday, July 27, 2012

A dog I like

It's been a busy last few days here- I celebrated birthday number 25 (helllooooo quarter of a century!), and my friend Dana who I met on my Birthright trip to Israel is here visiting, and I travelled around with her briefly as well. I'll get to those some other time, but for now I want to talk about this dog.

I can't remember if I've mentioned it here, but dogs aren't super common here in Quito (although they are much more common in other parts of the country). Street dogs were everywhere in Chile, including major cities like Santiago and Valparaíso, but in Quito, street dogs aren't an issue. Dogs as pets are definitely common though, and almost all of them wear sweaters. Whereas in the US it's pretty embarrassing to dress your dog up in a sweater, here there is no social stigma, for the owner nor, presumably, for the dog.
Here's a dog wearing not only a shirt, but also a skirt! I think my mom took this photo last year in Quito at the Parque La Carolina
There's a construction site near my house (well, there are DOZENS), and there's this cute little white dog with curly fur (the most popular kind of dog here, as far as I can tell), and he hangs out around the construction site a lot. I can't remember much about construction sites in the US, but this doesn't seem all that uncommon- right?  I feel like having dogs hang out around construction sites is pretty normal, what with all of the cliched "man's best friend" and the fact that construction sites tend to be male dominated. Maybe the dogs there are a little bigger, and less like grandmotherly lap dogs, but whatever. But this dog wears a blue sweater vest, and looks absolutely adorable walking around the construction site like he owns the place (and like he should be sitting demurely on a lap). I didn't get a photo of him, which would have rounded out this blog post. Now, this post is pretty much just- "there is a cute dog who wears a sweater and lives at a construction site near my house". Sorry guys- more updates soon!

1 comment:

  1. PICS OR IT DOESN'T EXIST.

    PS: There's a new puppy in my neighborhood named Jib who I am totally obsessed with. He has these oversize paws that he hasn't grown into yet, and he falls down all the time when he walks. Also, he hates being on his leash and keeps sitting down while he's supposed to be walking. Lately, they've had to give him this weird muzzle thing to keep him better at being on his leash. His owner (still not sure what her name is) said that she's a carpenter/painter, and is training him to bring her supplies. I'm not sure whether it was a joke or not, but if this little guy is actually helping out, then this story only gets better!!!

    ReplyDelete