Thursday, June 7, 2012

Turning the table- Americans as seen through guide books

I spend a lot of time on this blog talking about subtle (and not so subtle) cultural differences between Ecuador and the US. I think by now everyone knows that I love the cheek kiss (such a nice way to acknowledge everyone in the room), that I'm frequently confused by bank line-up etiquette (so weird that people cut in and out all the time and ask people to save their places), and that I really wish I could get used to cultural expectations of time- everyone is late- but that as hard as I try and no matter how long I'm here, I still slightly assume that my interviewee/friend/professor will be the exception to the rule, so I arrive on time, only to wait- every time.

But enough about Ecuador! I've spent plenty of time examining their culture. Now it's time to turn the tables and see what foreigners think about Americans when they travel to the US! (First point of order- lots of people down here hate the term "Americans"- they say that everyone from Canada down to the Patagonia in Chile and Argentina is part of the American continent, and that it's not fair for people from the US to claim the term as referring to them when really, everyone here is an American- be it a Central American, South American, or North American.)

I stumbled upon this interesting article called "Welcome to America, Please Be On Time: What Guide Books Tell Foreign Visitors to the US" yesterday and was immediately fascinated. It's definitely worth following the link and checking it out.

At the beginning of the article, it says that some of the most common pieces of advice include that it's OK to eat with your fingers, it's best to arrive on time, not drink and drive, and to be cautious when talking about politics, especially immigration.

These are interesting to me, because they're at once both very familiar and yet at the same time, I understand that these are crucial pieces of advice! I've found myself embarrassingly reaching for my fork after realizing that I was the only one eating my pizza with my hands here in Ecuador, and we all know my feelings about punctuality. It's not uncommon for people to drive under more of an influence than I'm comfortable with, and I've found myself making excuses for why a taxi would be more "convenient" than getting in the car with someone after several bar stops. The fact that I have almost never seen any sort of driving laws enforced surely allows this to be culturally more accepted. While politics are readily discussed here (one of my favorite things to discuss with taxi drivers), in the US, political discussions are usually limited to family and friends, rather than new acquaintances. 

Apparently, some guide books think that foreign visitors might have a hard time in more conservative parts of the US, and Lonely Planet apparently notes that solo women travelers in "rural" areas can attract raised eyebrows. I was surprised to read that- I've read in both Chilean and Ecuadorian guide books that women traveling by themselves was seen as odd, but I never imagined that the same advice would be said of traveling in the US. That being said, I've never traveled in the South.


Finally, a topic that is near and dear to my heart comes up- food. Guide books thrill about the food in the US (rightly so! oh, readily available vegetarian fare...), but they especially mention portion size. While gringo portion sizes are no new subject, I found myself getting defensive. Portion size here is out of control too! Sometimes they serve you, like, three cups of white rice! After just eating a huge bowl of soup filled with quinoa, yucca (cassava/manioc), potatoes, and starchy plantains! Sometimes I secretly feed rice to dogs in rural homes when I can't finish my food but don't want to seem ungrateful! (true story.) So I guess the moral is that portion sizes are relative? Especially when it concerns starches?

You should all check out the article because I thought it was pretty fascinating. What else would you advise foreign travelers about when traveling to the US?

1 comment:

  1. What a fun idea to think about our own cultural norms. Here are a few I've observed: In different American cities there are different customs for crossing the street-either waiting for the light to change or going when it looks clear. It can take a while to figure this out. I think it depends on the size of the city, though that isn't a hard and fast rule. Typically, we in the U.S. tend to walk on the right side of the sidewalk. In other countries, I have found this isn't the same and have ended up face-to-face with others. This goes for on cruise ships as well. In the U.S., we tend to leave a seat between us when sitting in a theater or auditorium. Cashiers in stores often will start a conversation, albeit usually about weather or our health. At gas stations, where you pump your own gas, you can stand right next to someone else at the pump across from yours but it doesn't seem acceptable to strike up a conversation. People here talk on their bluetooths (blueteeth?) when in stores, on the street, etc... without regard to how awkward it is for those who are passing. I sometimes wonder if the person is talking to me, but then realize he/she isn't. Many people eat and/or drink in their cars here. Bringing your own bag to a grocery store is getting much more common, but this is less accepted at department stores. In the U.S., gardeners (the paid kind) use a blower much more than I've ever seen in other countries. On airplanes, I've found that people don't want to chat until we are waiting to disembark. They usually put in their earphones to signify that they don't want to be disturbed. People check their cell phones all the time, even in restaurants. I'm not sure this is acceptable, but it seems to be done a lot. When riding with a passenger, I've even had that person carry on long conversations on a cell while I'm driving! There seems to be less talking on cell phones at tables- more texting. People will do this even if they are in a conversation with you. In my travels, I have noticed that Americans tend to talk a bit louder than others on buses, in restaurants and in stores. They also talk over each other, not always waiting for a pause. These are just a few of my observations.

    ReplyDelete