I mentioned recently the
Marcha por la Vida, and I went to check it out a week or two ago. Actually, I checked out both sides of the march- the pro-government side (in favor of mining projects) and the anti-government side (anti-mining). While I am certainly anti-forced displacement of people and anti-contaminating water sources for local people, I admittedly don't know enough about the "responsible mining" that the government claims that it will employ with these projects. The government says that in order to keep up its social welfare programs and semi-state sponsored development programs, they need income somehow- by drilling for oil, exploiting minerals, or (my favorites!) eco-tourism projects and organic agriculture systems. The first two are much more lucrative, shockingly. So, part of me thinks that it's idealistic of the anti-mining, anti-government groups to want financial help from the government while at the same time opposing lucrative projects. Still, mining contributes a small amount to the government, especially since most mining projects in Ecuador are owned by foreign companies- Chinese in the case of this particular mining project debate.
 |
Pro-Correa protesters
|
 |
| Major police protection at the pro-gov event |
 |
Protesters scattered around the park
 |
| Pro-gov protesters marching to the park |
Mostly, I was interested in hearing President Correa speak at the pro-gov rally in the morning. I heard a bunch of leftist leaders in Latin America speak when I was a summit in Santiago in 2007 (I heard Nicaragua's Daniel Ortega, Bolivia's Evo Morales, Venezuela's Chavez, Ecuador's Correa, and I think Raúl Castro from Cuba was there as well), but I wanted to see and hear Correa in Ecuador.
|
 |
| Selling helado de paila- ice cream |
He arrived 2.5 hours late (apparently
this is such an Ecuadorian cultural thing that not even the president is exempt), and spoke for only 10-15 minutes, which was disappointing. The only thing that salvaged the morning was watching vendors sell delicious food everywhere.
The anti-government protest had a different feel to it.
 |
| "In Ecuador we don't want a government like Gadafi...down with the dictator! Cultural Movement YAC is present! |
 |
| More vendors at the anti-gov march |
 |
| Indigenous flag at the anti-gov march |
 |
| "I am NOT in favor of Correa nor of the opposition. I am in favor of LIFE. NO TO MINING!" |
 |
| Singing between speeches |
 |
| Speeches |
Not disappointing? The anti-gov march in the afternoon. It had much more
onda or vibes flowing around. Hippies painted their faces, people had interesting signs, drum circles, and the street food was just as delish. Several leaders spoke, and people sang in between speeches.
 |
Downpour- typical
 |
If there's one thing to be said about Ecuadorians, they're good entrepreneurs! Selling umbrellas in the downpour
 |
| The crowd stuck around despite the rain |
|
I met up with some of my classmates in the afternoon, and despite the heavy, heavy downpour, I'm glad I went. There were rumors that the government had particularly "claimed" the morning time (both marches were held in the same park) knowing that it usually rains in the afternoon and knowing that the pro-gov supporters probably felt less strongly about their cause, and would immediately abandon the rally. The anti-gov people certainly didn't abandon the rally.
An interesting day for Ecuadorian democracy!
|
I love how useful the rain was:
ReplyDelete1) Government rumored to have used it to discouraged attendance at the opposition's rally
2) Vendors used it as an income-generating opportunity
Nice!