Friday, February 3, 2012

Brownie update

(I posted this almost a week ago, but to the wrong blog! Now you can read it here.)

I'm sure you're all still mourning the fact that I can't bake a good brownie. I know I certainly am. More like, I was. Yesterday, I made delicious brownies! I'm warming up for Alvi's birthday on 4 February, and I wanted to make something yummy without having to resort to a boxed mix. I also didn't want Alvaro's one birthday treat to taste like bitter sandpaper, so I wanted to practice ahead of time. I found a simple recipe, and stuck carefully to it. If that meant 4 tbs of butter and an entire cup of sugar (what?!), I was determined not to improvise. OK, so improvised a tiny bit- I eyeballed the butter, and I couldn't handle all of the white sugar, so I did half sugar and half panela which is basically unrefined sugar. I'm pleased (and incredibly disappointed and embarrassed) to announce that almost none of the brownies are left today, which is a nice change from my other brownies which we ended up throwing away. Unfortunately, that means that Alvaro and I have eaten almost an entire pan of brownies in just one day.

At least I can make homemade brownies if I stick carefully to the recipe!

I've been thinking a lot about friendships in Latin America and in the US, and I'm hoping to write a blog post soon. What do you guys think are stereotypes about US friendships, or friendships with or among gringos?

2 comments:

  1. That BFF tell everything. That friends always know what to say (I can assure you, they don't) and that you can't have more than one really close friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for you to come and try your recipe here. You know how much I love a good brownie! I think that (and ice cream) may be my favorite dessert.

    ReplyDelete