In Spanish they refer to power or electricity in a home or building as "la luz"- the light. Here in my apartment in Quito, we've been sin luz- without light- for a little more than four days, and it's been quite an adventure. Although I don't have as many electrical aparati in my apartment here as my parents do at home (no DVD player, no microwave, no digital clocks, no central heating), pretty much everything essential in my apartment operates with electricity- an electric stove, an electric water heater, my refrigerator, the internet connection, and obviously the lights. Although I'd left a friend some money to pay my bills, she wasn't able to make it to a bank where they would accept the bill, so the luz was cut off on Friday and I was told I couldn't pay the bill until Monday.
Friday night we arrived, used my mini flashlight, and collapsed in bed. During the day, my apartment gets lots of natural light, but during the evening it gets dark around 6pm. Saturday evening we had a romantic candlelit evening (we put the candles in wine bottles- very bohemian from everything I've seen in movies and in small cafes- and we also utilized my menorah and beeswax candles that the family sent) and we played cards, read books and just chatted. By Sunday I was ready for real electricity and a warm, home-cooked meal. Instead, Alvaro and I visited a cafe in the afternoon to use their internet while drinking cups of tea and hot chocolate that lasted over two hours and during the evening I strained my eyes reading my Kindle by candlelight.
Sunday we also reached a new low, trying to boil water in the fondue pot using tea candles. We were successful in creating small bubbles, but no heavy boil and our "meal" of pasta turned out gummy. Still, we felt a small sense of accomplishment and genius at the the idea to use the fondue pot and candles.
Monday morning we paid the bill in full and were told that the power would be reinstalled around 3pm. We went to the Supermaxi and optimistically bought a lot of perishable foods, anticipating the return of the luz. I went over to a local friend's place to make some quinoa and sauté some onions, which was one of the best meals we'd eaten in days if only because it was home cooked and warm. In the evening I collapsed into a pit of dispair when they didn't install the power and wouldn't answer my (persistent) phone calls. I reached yet another new low and succumbed to my desire (need?) for a hot shower and I eventually paid the hostel across the street (where Mom and Dad stayed over a year ago- by the way guys, I returned the key that you accidentally took with you) $5 to take a shower there. We bought more candles for the third night in a row and bemoaned our dependency upon electrical aparati and the inefficiency of the state-owned electricity company.
Yesterday morning, good news arrived- at 9am the holiday lights that we had plugged in to be our indication of the return of the luz finally turned on! Alvaro and I both did victory dances- for reals- and cooked meals, boiled water for tea and coffee, showered, and generally used a lot of electricity. I caught up on some emails and Skyped with family in the evening. I also probably talked about how great it was that the electricity was back on for about an hour during the day. Miracle of light!
1) We don't have *that* many electrical appliances. Sheesh! For example: only two TV's - national average is three.
ReplyDelete2) Thanks for returning the key.
3) How did you happen to get an offer of $5 for shower use? Seems like an awkward exchange.
4) Way to work in "miracle of light" to a great story!