Sunday, September 4, 2011

Quito, I missed you

I'm happy to be back here.  A few thoughts.

I ate Hood River cherries here in Quito!  They were about double the price as in the farmers market back home, but you have to splurge occasionally.

In other food news, I made my trusty olive bread again. I think that if I just had mashed avocado, hummus, and egg salad on that bread continuously that I could be happy.  I'm also happy to be eating chochos again- I recently learned that chocho translates to lupine seeds in English.  And I'm happy about eating tostados too- toasted maize.  Yum.

I love not having to drive! Taxis are ridiculously cheap (how could I forget that?) and I can walk most places. While I really like the act of driving, not driving is cheaper, better for me, and better for the environment. 

My Spanish seems to be suffering from the (comparative) lack of use in the last two months, and I'm definitely not as fluid as I used to be, although I think I'm probably the only person who notices it to the extent that I do.  I still managed to convince some people last night that I was from Chile, which seemed to satisfy their questioning about my acento raro.

Big, thunderstorm-y abrazos back home!

1 comment:

  1. We made your olive bread and I spread hummus on it. It was divine! Thanks for the recipe. Egg salad next, I think...

    ReplyDelete